According to 9News, Northern Colorado will start seeing heavy storm Monday afternoon. 9News, Fort Collins Coloradoan
With at least a foot of snow expected in some areas Monday night into Tuesday, flights for Thanksgiving travelers at Denver International Airport are already being impacted.
As of 8 p.m., 58 flights into or out of DIA for Monday had been cancelled and 277 had been delayed, according to the website Flight Aware.
The bulk of the storm is expected to accumulate Monday night, with a foot or more expected by its end Tuesday. Heavy and blowing snow will make travel difficult throughout this storm, according to the National Weather Service.
As of 8 p.m Monday, 444 flights into or out of DIA had been canceled for Tuesday. That means nearly 70% of all cancellations at U.S. airports Tuesday involve a DIA inbound or outbound flight.
Major airlines are waiving flight change fees ahead of the storm. That means travelers booked on a Tuesday flight can try to get to their destinations early or choose to depart later without a fee.
Here’s a quick snapshot by airline:
Monday flights into or out of DIA
- Southwest: 25 flights canceled (5%); 89 flights delayed (20%)
- United: 8 flights canceled (1%); 51 delayed (11%)
- Delta: 18 flights delayed (26%)
- Frontier: 7 flights canceled (6%); 13 flights delayed (11%)
- American Airlines: 1 flight canceled (1%); 6 delayed (9%)
Tuesday flights into or out of DIA
- Southwest: 169 flights canceled (39%)
- United: 55 flights canceled (13%)
- American Airlines: 3 flights canceled (4%)
- Frontier: 26 flights canceled (21%)
Don’t see your airline? Be sure to check with your airline directly or check out Flightaware.com.
Editor’s note: The Coloradoan is providing these snow and travel stories free for everyone to view as a public service. We can’t keep offering this service without support from readers, like you. If you don’t already, please subscribe today.
Read or Share this story: https://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/2019/11/25/denver-international-airport-colorado-snow-prompts-flight-cancellations-monday-tuesday-dia/4297379002/